Sunday, March 02, 2008

tom kah gai : chicken soup with coconut milk


Tom Kah Gai: Chicken Soup with Coconut Milk

I personally don’t like Coconut Milk but I do like cooking “Tom Kah Gai” from time to time. I remember that my mother used to cook a wicked dish of “Tom Kah Gai” when I was young. Now I am not living with my Mum anymore. So, it kind of reminds me of my mother’s cooking.

“Tom Kah Gai” looks and sounds pretty much sophisticated. It seems to be difficult but its actually a very easy and simple dish to cook.

Find below my recipe of “Tom Kah Gai”



4 cups of Chicken (Thigh, Breast or any part depends on your liking)
2-3 cups of Coconut milk
3-4 cups of Chicken Stock

½ cup of Galangal, thinly sliced
½ cup of Lemon Grass, roughly sliced
½ cup of Red Shallot, peeled and halved
2-3 of Kaffir Lime Leaves, roughly shredded
½ cup of Coriander Leaves, roughly cut

2-4 of Red & Green Chilies, crushed or chopped (or as much as your liking)
4 Tablespoons of Lime Juice
4 Tablespoons of Fish Sauce



Preparation

• Heat a large saucepan over medium-heat
• Add coconut milk, bring to the boil
• Add lemon grass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves & red shallot , wait till aromatic
• Add chicken, wait till the chicken is cooked through
• Add chicken stock, wait till becoming boiled
• Turn off the heat
• Add chilies, fish sauce & lime juice to your taste
• Remove into a serving bowl
• Sprinkle with coriander leaves
• Serve with steamed whole-grain rice

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks like some great comfort food/hangover cure.

kitz said...

mmmmmm looks good!

Molly said...

This was soooo good! Thank you very much. Most other recipes call for the coconut milk to be added later on in the recipe, but I think your way really gives the whole thing an excellent flavor. Thanks again!