Tuesday, March 13, 2012

steamed rice topped with chicken in brown gravy

Steamed Rice topped with Chicken in Brown Gravy : Kao Nah Gai - ข้าวหน้าไก่

I started my new job a month ago and my life (time - to be precise!) is changed entirely. I thought this job is going to be easy and fun. Reality hits me hard! The thing is its fun but not as easy as I thought. Now I doubt that I could ever be able to run a restaurant alone. Anyway, I am not a kind of person who gives up on things easily, especially, things that I like. I am going to give it a try for a few years to see how it goes and if I really like it... then I shall decide what I will do with my life next. 

Geez, I have always thought that when we get to do what we love... it will be a happy ending.

Anyway, its my day off today. I got to stay home and I didn't want (too lazy as I am entirely worn out by long-hours-work) to go out and its too hot to handle in Bangkok right now. I cooked something easy for lunch and its delicious. So, I think I should post a recipe on here.

Find below a recipe

300 G. - Skinless Chicken Thigh or Breast (cut into cubes) 
5-6 Fresh or Dried Shiitake Mushrooms, halved (Optional)
2 Tablespoons - Oyster Sauce
1 Tablespoon - Shaoxing Wine 
1 Teaspoon - Black Sweet Soy Sauce 
2 Tablespoons - Soy Sauce
1/2 Teaspoon - Sesame Oil
1/2 Teaspoon - Un-refined Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon - Corn Flour/Tapioca Flour (Optional)
1 Teaspoon - Garlic (finely grated)
A dash of Ground White Pepper Corn

Garnish
Fresh Green Chilies - roughly cut
Fresh Red Chilies - roughly cut
Fresh Coriander 
Fresh Cucumber 
Fried/Boiled Eggs - halved 

Preparation

Marinate the chicken cubes with all ingredients and keep in the fridge for 30 mins. Set a saucepan over medium-high heat, add a cup of chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add marinated chicken. Stir till the chicken is well cooked and the gravy is thicken. (I personally don't like adding too much corn or tapioca starch into my food. Therefore, my gravy is a much lighter version.) 

Serve hot over steamed rice or whole-grain rice. Sprinkle with lots of green chilies (I like to mix red & green chilies as they give more colour on the plate) and fresh chopped coriander. You can always garnish it with fried egg or boiled egg, sliced fresh cucumber and fried cured pork sausage. I like mine served simple as you can see from the picture shown above. 

No comments: