Wednesday, October 31, 2012

fried rice with shrimp paste


Fried Rice with Shrimp Paste : Khao Kluk Kapi - ข้าวคลุกกะปิ

I love fried-rice with shrimp paste but I don't often cook it at home as there are too many ingredients. (If I want to eat this dish, its easier for me just to order the dish in any of my favourite restaurants.) Actually, its not difficult at all but its time consuming and, as you know, I am kept very busy with work and things lately. I am too tired and I don't want to spend hours prepping for a meal. Luckily, on last Wednesday which was a very slow day-off, I woke up in a good mood and as I intensely craved for this dish for days. I felt that I need to cook it, hence this recipe. 

Note : The raw mango was kept at my house for days before cooking and its ripe (as shown in the picture above). The dish is best eaten/served with very sour green mango. I will re-do the picture later. 

Find below my recipe

Shrimp Paste Fried Rice
2 Cups of steamed rice 
1 Tablespoon Shrimp Paste
1 Teaspoon Garlic, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons cooking oil (I prefer light & mild Olive oil)

Sweet Fried Pork
1 Cup Pork Belly, cut into bite-sized cubes/strips 
1/3 Cup Shallot, sliced 
1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil (I prefer light & mild Olive oil)
1 Teaspoon Sweet Black Soy Sauce 
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
2-3 Tablespoon Palm Sugar 

Garnish
Omelette - sliced into strips
Organic Raw/Green Mango - sliced
Shallot - sliced 
Organic Long Green Bean - roughly chopped
Organic Red Chilie - roughly sliced
Organic Fresh Cucumber, sliced 
Organic Lime Wedges 
Sweet Fried Dried-Shrimp (Optional)
Cashew Nuts (Optional)
Salted Egg, quartered (Optional)

Preparation

Set a saucepan over medium-high heat, add cooking oil. Add sliced shallot and fry till soften. Add soy sauce, black soy sauce and palm sugar. Wait till the palm sugar is caramelised and add pork and keep stir-frying till the pork is cooked through. Turn off the heat and keep one side.

Set wok over medium-high heat, add cooking oil and chopped garlic. Add steamed rice and shrimp paste. Keep stir-frying till everything is mixed well. Taste if more seasoning is needed. Turn off the heat and keep one side.

Plating : In a serving plate, arrange sliced omelette, sliced green mango, sliced shallot, long green bean, chopped chillies, cucumber, lime wedges, sweet fired pork around/on the fried rice. Just before eating, combine everything together and then squeeze the lime juice over the fried rice and enjoy!

No comments: