Saturday, November 03, 2007

mixed vegetables braised with pork



Four Kinds of Vegetables Braised with Pork: Jab-Chai

This is a very Chinese dish which I really like. It's all about loads of vegetables being braised together for hours.

I still remember that the first time I tried this dish. It was when I was very young and then it's very difficult to get me (who was too young to care about greens.) to eat vegetables but I liked it very much that I managed to remember its name and asked my Mum to cook it for me at home.

Anyway, I went to do buy "organic greens" at Tops' Thonglor today and when I was waiting to pay at the Cahier – she said "Organic Products" are very expensive. I really feel for her.

How come we (Thai People) are forced to pay more for "Organic Vegetables" since we grow vegetables to sell?
How come Thai people feel that they can not afford "Organic Vegetables"?
It's clearly that something is wrong somewhere in our system. It's the Government who is to blame. I really hope that, someday, our standard of life will improve, more or less, in a better way.

Find below my recipe of “Mixed Vegetables Braised with Pork



3-4 of Chinese Spinach, roughly cut
3-4 of Chinese Kale, roughly cut
1 of medium Cabbage, roughly cut
1 of big Chinese Turnip, cut into small chunks

½ Kilo of Pork, cut into small chunks
4-6 Cups of Chicken Stock
2-4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil (Extra mild and light)
2-4 Tablespoons of Palm Sugar
4 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
2 Cups of Chinese Celery, cut
2 Cups of Spring Onion, cut

2-3 cloves of Garlic
4-6 black Pepper
2 coriander roots

Preparation

• Pound the paste using a Mortar and Pestle (Garlic, Black Pepper and Coriander roots)till almost fine, set aside

• Heat the Wok over high heat.
• Add Olive Oil and the Paste, fry till aromatic
• Add Palm Sugar, fry to caramelize (keep stir-fry till the colour turns brown.)
• Add Pork, stir to mix well
• Add Soy sauce, stir
• Add the all of Vegetables, stir-fry till the Vegetables become soft.
• Remove into a big pot and add chicken stock , simmer for 20-30 mins
• Turn off the heat, remove into a serving bowl
• Serve with streamed whole-grain rice

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

might be interesting for you:
http://torevealartandconcealtheartist.blogspot.com/