Wednesday, August 15, 2007

tub tim grob : rubies


Tub Tim Grob : Rubies

This is one of my mates most favourite Thai dessert. I am personally not very fond of Thai desserts not that I am being pretentious. Its just that I am not a big fan of coconut cream. ... though its nice to eat Food which cooks with coconut milk from time to time.

Anyway, I have tried to cook it a few times and I once followed David Thompson's recipe in his "Thai Food" Cookbook. Find below my very own recipe of "Tub Tim Grob" which I have adjusted bit to satisfy my personal taste.

1 cup of water chestnut, peeled and cleaned and cut into 1 cm cubes
1 cup of pomegranate juice / or food-colouring - red
2 cups of tapioca flour
5 cups of water
2 cups of sugar syrup (Mixed between 2 cups of sugar & 2 cups of water)
1 cup of coconut cream
1-2 cup of young coconut, shredded or cut in long strips
cracked ice


Preparation

* soak the small cubes of chestnut in pomegranate juice/ food-colouring for 10-15 mins
* remove & roll the small cubes of chestnut with tapioca flour
* shake to remover the excess flour

* bring water to the boil
* add coated chestnut cubes and simmer till cooked
* wait till Rubies float
* remove and put in cold water and drain

* serve together with sugar syrup and cracked ice
* drizzle with coconut cream
* sprinkle with shredded young coconut

Note : All pictures were taken form "Greyhound Cafe" where the chef cooks a very yummy yummy dish of "Tub Tim Grob".


Greyhound Cafe
2nd Floor
Emporium Shopping Centre
Sukhumvit 24
Bangkok 10110
T. 02 664 8663

No comments: