Sunday, August 10, 2008

tum kanoon : stir-fried jackfruit with pork cracking


Tum Kanoon: Fried Jackfruit with Pork Cracking

This is a real northern dish. My mother & my father were originally from North (Chiang Rai) and my mother re-located to Bangkok since she was 15 years old.

I remember that when I was young my grandmother & my mum used to cook this dish for me very often – therefore, it becomes my favourtie. Now that I don’t live with my mum anymore, I missed it from time to time. When I happened to get a chance to go to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai – I always ordered this particular dish from local restaurants.

I, personally, like to call it "Phad Kanoon" instead of "Tum Kanoon" because to me it feels right to call it "Phad".

Find below my very own recipe of “Phad Kanoon”



5-6 Cups of young Jackfruit, peeled & boiled – cut into small bits
3 Cups of Pork Cracking
2 Cups of Tomato, halved & then quatred
3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
3 Tablespoons of Fish Sauce
1 ½ Tablespoons of Palm Sugar
3-6 Red Charlotte, peeled & roasted (depends how big they are)
2 Cloves of Garlic, roasted
3 Dried Red Chillies, roasted
1Tablespoon of Galangal, roasted
2 Tablespoons of Corinder, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons of Kaffir lime Leaves, Finely sliced
1 Tablespoon of Shrimp Paste

For Garnish
3-4 Dried Red Chillie, fired
Pork Cracking
Basil leaves

Preparation

Pound roasted red charlotte, garlic, dried red chillies, & roasted galangal wiht a large mortar & pestle till almost fine.
Add bits of boiled jackfruit in, continue to pound till mixed well
Remove from a Mortar and set a side
Set a wok over medium heat
Add olive oil, wait till hot
Add pounded jackfruit paste in a wok, stir-fry till aromatic
Add tomatoes, stir to combine well
Add fish sauce & palm sugar, stir to mix well
Add half of pork cracking, stir-fry very quickly
Remove into a serving plate
Sprinkle with, chopped corainder, chopped kaffir lime leaves, & the rest of pork cracking
Serve with fried dried-chillies, basil leaves, steamed rice or sticky rice
(Note : the pictures are taken from Elle Decor.)

2 comments:

Cliff said...

This recipe is from the North Of Thailand. It seems very authentic.

Our family makes it exactly the same.


Thank you.

nathan said...

Is there another name for Red Charlotte? I can't find any information on what that is.