Wednesday, November 19, 2008

moo kao-ging : stir-fried pork with southern thai paste


Moo Koa-Ging : หมูคั่วกลิ้ง

I bought a “Koa-Ging” paste from Phuket. So, I think its about time I start cooking "Moo Koa-Ging”. This particularly southern dish is very hot & spicy. I personally can’t be able to cope with something that’s too hot or too spicy. So, after I finished cooking it. I gave it to one of my mates who is capable of eating this kind of thing.

She told me “it’s good” but I should replace the pork with minced pork. Yes, I would probably cook it again... ermmm with less chilies definitely.

Anyway, find below a recipe of Southern “Moo Koa-Ging”

3-4 Cups of Pork, sliced or minced (or Beef)
4-6 of Kaffir Lime Leaves, finely sliced
2 Tablespoons of “Kao-Ging” paste
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil, extra light & mild
A dash of Brow Sugar

If you can’t be able to find a paste then I have a recipe
3 Stalks of Lemon Glass, finely sliced
3 Cloves of Garlic
3 Cloves of Red Shallots
2 of Galanga, finely chopped
1 of Turmeric
½ of Kiffir Lime’s Zest, finely chopped
2 Teaspoons of Salt
5-10 of Dried Chilies, Soaked (Normally, they (Southern Thai people) would put, at least, 20 chilies.)
2 Tablespoons of Pepper (If you like it very hot, feel free, to add more)

Put everything into a blender, blend them till fine
Keep in an air-tight container; it can be kept in the fridge up to a month
...

Preparation

Set a Wok over high-heat, wait till hot
Add Oil, wait till becoming hot
Add the Paste, stir to aromatic
Add Pork, stir-fry till mixed well
Add a little of Water, stir-fry till the pork is cooked
Add a dash of Brown Sugar, stir to combine well
Sprinkle with Kiffir Lime Leaves, fry briefly
Turn off the heat
Remove into a serving plate
Serve hot with Steamed Rice & Cucumber

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious. The lime leaves are so colorful!

Anonymous said...

I've been viewing your blog ever since specially if im craving for thai food.I so love it...im new in blogging hope you have time to check my blog...thanks ur such an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

hi Riya,i just made your sweet and sour pork recipe.everybody's happy with it.Thanks again...xoxo this is my flickr photos if you have time to check it.http://www.flickr.com/photos/melissasuebrown/?saved=1