Tuesday, November 25, 2008

yum goon-chiang: spicy chinese-sausage salad


Spicy Chinese Sausage Salad: ยำกุนเชียง

Personally, I don’t eat Chinese Sausage. I don’t like it & will never like it for many reasons but I do cook it and I write this recipe because being a person who is passionate about food; I cooked loads of dishes that I don’t eat.

One of the girls at work went back to her home-town. She brought this Chinese Sausage back. So, I cooked it for her and the rest of the girls at work.

This kind of dish (Spicy Salted Egg Salad or Spicy Chinese Sausage Salad), the Thai-Chinese likes to eat for their breakie too bits. Yes, I know… eating something that cooked with chilies for breakfast seems odd… but it’s true. That’s the way do eat breakfast.
Though, after finish partying, I very much like eating Chinese Rice Porridge at Chinese Porridge Restaurants where open till very late (3-4am), especially at "Sorn-thong" at Rama IV or “55 porchana” in Thonglor.

Find below a recipe of “Spicy Chinese Sausage Salad”
...

2-3 Cups of Chinese Sausage, cut
3-4 of Red Chilies, finely chopped
3-4 of Red Shallotte, finely sliced
2-4 of Tablespoons of Lime Juice
2-3 of Tablespoons of Fish Sauce
A dash of Brown Sugar
A handful of Spring Onion & Coriander, finely chopped

Preparation

Set a large Saucepan over high-heat with Water, bring to the boil.
Add in Chinese Sausage, boil till cooked
Remove, drain & keep one side

In a large Salad bowl, add boiled Chinese Sausage, then chopped Chilies, Shallotte. Then add, Fish Sauce, Lime Juice & Brown Sugar, stir to mix everything well. Sprinkle with chopped Coriander & Spring Onion
Remove into a serving plate
Serve with a cup of Chinese & Thai Rice Porridge (Rice Soup) Style.

2 comments:

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I can imagine the acid and the alliums cutting through the richness of the Chinese sausage. Great stuff! I personally am not a fan of Chinese sausages eaten on their own, but this salad makes me want to try it.

James Chudley said...

Great blog I enjoyed reading