Saturday, April 10, 2010

thai version of "suki-yaki" : สุกี้แห้งไก่


Thai Version of "Suki-Yaki" (Dried) with Chicken : สุกี้แห้งไก่

Lately, I find myself having lunch at “Foodland” in Sukhumvit Soi 16 very often with my colleagues. They have a small restaurant there called “Took Lae Dee” for working people who come for a quick lunch : something quick, good quality and inexpensive. (80 Bht -150 Bht per dish). Yes, what I usually order for lunch here is very predictable. (Phad Ka-pao Gai Kai Dao ผัดกระเพาไก่ใข่ดาว, Phad See Eiw ผัดซีอิ้ว, Rad Nah ราดหน้า, ect.,)

Last week, I ordered this “Dried Suki-Yaki with Chicken” ; one of the most popular (adopted) single-dishes in Thailand and then I thought – this is easy. I can easily cook it at home and I can cook it even better. I mean the bottled-sauce is tasteless.

I wonder how this “Suki Yaki” is becoming one of our nation popular dishes? Its Chinese by origin (most of the popular suaces are Chinese : Cantonese sauce is very popular here.) but its named Japanese ("Suki Yaki" means Hot Pot) and, somehow, some of us like it dried. Dried Suky Yaki (Dried Hot Pot) sounds very unusual, eh? Anyway, I googled a little and found nothing (Not even in Wiki). One thing I really don't like is that when you want to know/learn about food history in Thailand. You can't seem to find where to start. Very disappointed.

Find below my recipe,

1 Cup of Chicken (Free Range is preferred)
2 Cups of Vermicelli (Glass Noodle)
3 Organic Eggs
1 Organic Medium Chinese Cabbage (Shredded)
2 Cups of Morning Glory (Shredded)
1 Cup of Chinese Celery (Cut)
1 Cup of Spring Onion (Cut)
1 Cup of Eryngii Mushroom (Any hard-white Mushroom will do.)
3 Cloves of Garlic (Finely Chopped)
4 Tablespoons of Suki Yaki Sauce (But a bottled-sauce in Supermarket.)
3 Tablespoons of Oyster Sauce
3 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons of Seasoning Sauce
3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil (Light & Mild)

Preparation

Set a wok over medium-high heat, wait till it becoming hot. Add oil and later garlic, fry till aromatic. Add chicken, stir-fry till cooked through. Then add eggs, wait for a few seconds for the eggs to set a little then add oyster sauce, soy sauce and seasoning sauce, stir-fry to mix everything well. Add vermicelli & then add vegetables. Turn off the heat. Add Suki-Yaki sauce and stir to mix everything well. Transfer into a serving plate. Serve hot with a cup of Suki-Yaki sauce on the side.



Now, Taste is individual – each of us likes the Suki-Yaki sauce differently. (I like it with lots of lime juice but my mate likes it very sweet.) I have an easy solution. We don't need to tolerate a bottled-sauce. All we need is being a little creative.

Find below a quick & easy way of Suki-Yaki Sauce

2 Cups of (bottled) Suki-Yaki Sauce
4-5 Chili (Finely Chopped)
3 Cloves of Garlic (Finely Chopped)
2-3 Tablespoons of Fish Sauce
2-3 Tablespoons of Lime Juice

Preparation

Add everything in a bowl, whisk till mixed well. Voila! (Please, note that each brand comes with different taste – test your sauce first before being too creative!)

Serve : 2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this. I ate this every day when i lived in chiang mai. Now I can again! :)