Wednesday, September 08, 2010

stir-fried morning glory with bean paste, garlic & chili


Stir-fried Morning Glory with Bean Paste, Garlic & Chili : ผัดผักบุ้ง (ไฟแดง)

At times, you don't want something fancy, what you want is a simple dish. That's what I felt last weekend. So, I cooked this simple stir-fry dish.

'Stir-fried Morning Glory' (Water Spinach) has been one of the most popular dishes among Thai people for ages. I guess its mainly because the dish is economical and delicious. In Thailand 'Morning Glory' is cheap and easy to find. Its everywhere. The dish is easy to cook. All it takes is 5 minutes to cook.

Personally, I do like cooking stir-fry but I don't like doing it in Chinese style because of the 'high temperature cooking'. (I mean, I am all against the Oxidation stuff) Therefore, I deliberately cook my stir-fry with medium-high heat only.

Find below a recipe,

Lots of Morning Glory, cut & clean
3-4 of Organic Red Chilies, crushed
2 Tablespoons of Organic Salted Bean Paste
2 Tablespoons of Oyster Sauce
1 Tablespoon of Soy Sauce
2-3 Tablespoons of Grape Seed Oil
A dash of Un-refined Sugar

Preparation

Set a wok over medium-high heat. Wait till the oil is becoming hot but not too hot. Add oil, then add garlic. Fry the garlic till aromatic. Then add the morning glory and the rest of the ingredients. Stir fry very very quickly - this process should not take morn than 5-7 seconds. Turn off the heat. Serve immediately with a cup of steamed brown rice or plain rice porridge.

Note : if you are too slow. The stir-fry will turn really dark. If you want it to look green then you gotta be fast. I guess thats main reason why the Chinese use extra high-temperature cooking in order to get this very-green-end-result.

No comments: