Wednesday, February 09, 2011

salmon fillet with spicy green mango salad

Salmon Fillet served with Spicy Green Mango Salad : ปลาซาลมอนทอดยำมะม่วง

This dish is one of my "PMS" dishes. I mean it helps to ease PMS when my hormones is running wild inside of me. I seem to intensely crave for food that's  spicy, tangy and salty altogether... something like "Som Tum" or  any spicy salad dish aka "Yum" (I know that I should limit "salt" intake but what can I do.  I can't resist. I am helpless as I am just a woman with PMS... you know what I mean.)

This dish is very simple and easy. It takes 10 minutes to prep and then 5 minutes to put everything together. Its light and it has all of bold flavours in one dish.  To me, its just perfect. Find below my recipe

2 Salmon Fillets (Premium Quality is preferred.)
1 Medium Organic Green Mango, peeled & then julienned
1/2 Cup of Roasted Cashew Nuts
3-4 Medium Red Shallots, thinly sliced 
3-4 Red & Green Bird-eye Chilies, thinly sliced
1-2 Tablespoons of Organic Lime Juice (Depends on how tangy the raw mango is)
2-3 Tablespoons of Premium Quality Fish Sauce
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil (Extra light & mild)
1 Tablespoon of Sugar Syrup (made from un-refine Brown Sugar is preferred.)
Organic Coriander Leaves

Preparation 

You can choose to grill or fry the fish. (Note : Normally, in Thailand, "Big-eye Trevally" fish is popularly used in this dish - its called "Pla Samlee" in Thai and the dish is called "Pla Samlee Yum Mamuang" but this time, I replaced it with salmon as I like salmon better with Omega 3 thing. ) I did choose to fry it lightly with olive oil. Brush  both sides of the salmon fillet with olive oil and seasoning with sea salt and ground black pepper. Set a saucepan over medium-low heat, wait till becoming hot (but not too hot) . Place salmon fillet into a pan skin-side down. Fry slowly till the skin is crispy. Turn and leave to cook to your liking.( I personally don't like to over-cook salmon.) Remove from a saucepan and keep one side.

In a small mixing bowl, add sugar syrup, fish sauce, lime juice & chopped chilies. Whisk to combine everything well. Taste if more seasoning is needed. (It should taste sweet, tangy, spicy and then a little salty. Then again there is no definite rule as its your salad. You should cook/dress it to your liking.) Then add some julienned green mango and sliced shallot. Keep one side.

In a serving plate, place a fried salmon fillet on a bed of julienned green mango.  (If you couldn't be able to find Thai green mango, any kind of raw mango will do. You can, as well, use green apple but you won't get an original taste of this dish.) Sprinkle with roasted cashew nuts and coriander leaves. Pour the dressing over the salad and serve immediately. This  dish will satisfyingly make a nice & light lunch on your "PMS" day. Oh well, it does for me.

Serve : 2

No comments: