Sunday, February 06, 2011

spicy stir-fried straw mushroom and minced pork with basil leaves

Spicy Stir-fried Straw Mushroom & Minced Pork with Holy Basil Leaves : ผัดกะเพราเห็ด (ใส่หมูสับและถั่วฝักยาว)

I love "Phad Ka-Prao" (I already posted a recipe on here with seafood.) and I think every(Thai)one loves it.

Lately, as I grow older, I try to watch my own health. I try to limit eating meat. (I mean I do love eating meat but I try to control how many grams should I eat in one day and one week.) I am not vegetarian and I definitely can't be. I know I can't stop eating meat. The best I could do is to try to limit meat & try to avoid (white) carbohydrate in my food and try to add lots of more vegetables. Last weekend, I went to a farmer market in my neighbourhood and found these plump, firm and fresh straw mushrooms which were picked in the morning. First, I thought that I want to cook "Dtom Yum" for dinner but then I found fresh organic holy basil leaves. So, I changed my mind. Hence, "Phad Ka-Prao Hed"

Find below my recipe of "Spicy Stir-fried Straw Mushroom & Minced Pork with Holy Basil Leaves"

8-10 organic plump, fresh & firm Straw Mushroom, cleaned & halved/quartered
1/2 cup of minced pork
1/4 cup of organic string Beans, chopped into tiny bits
2-3 cloves of Garlic, smashed and finely chopped
3-4 organic Red Bird-eye Chillies, smashed and finely chopped
A handful of organic Holy Basil Leaves
2-3 tablespoons of Olive Oil, extra light & mild
2 tablespoons of Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon of Seasoning Sauce
2-3 tablespoons of Oyster Sauce
A dash of un-refined Brown Sugar
A few of big Red Chillies, de-seeded and thinly sliced

Preparation 

Set a wok over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and wait till becoming hot (not too hot though). Add chopped garlic & chopped chillies, fry till aromatic (Careful : this process could be dangerous for those westerners who lack of experience with cooking spicy stir-fry as the hot-smoke which is caused by "frying-chili-in-hot-temperature" could harm your eyes and cause serious sneezing.) Add minced pork and chopped string bean, stir-fry till pork is almost cooked through. Add soy sauce, seasoning sauce, oyster sauce, and a dash of brown sugar. Add straw mushroom, stir-fry till everything is mixed well but make sure that you are fast and not to leave everything in the wok for too long as the crunchiness of string bean and firm texture of mushroom could be ruined by heat. Taste if more seasoning is needed. Turn of the heat. Sprinkle with holy basil leaves and sliced red chillies. Remove into a serving plate. Serve hot with "fried egg" and a cup of steamed whole grain rice. 

Serve : 2

2 comments:

Dorrie said...

Dear Riya,

I am one of your regular readers, I love your blog, and I love your Thai recipes, and this one, too.

But: Very confusing for me as a food loving farang are all the different versions of bai gapRau - bai gRapRau - bai gRapau - ใบกะเพรา - ใบกระเพรา - ใบกระเพา.

I know it's a bit like Rayong - Ranong - Yala. :)

I love all Thai basils anyway, and your posts, too!

Riya said...

Dear Dorrie,

Thanks for your kind words and for correcting my Thai.

: )

I checked with Official Thai Dictionary website. The right one is "Ka-Prao" (กะเพรา)

http://rirs3.royin.go.th/new-search/meaning-search-all.asp

Riya