Sunday, April 29, 2012

dtom kah gai (mum's recipe)

A Rustic Version of Chicken in Coconut Milk Soup : Dtom Kah Gai - ต้มข่าไก่สูตรบ้านๆ

I seriously think that anything thats cooked by Mum is always delicious! I don't normally like coconut milk but I do like "Dtom Kah Gai". I guess it has something to do with my childhood. My mum cooked it for me very often when I was very young and I always loved it. (Actually, I love anything with lime juice.)

This recipe is very different from the boring Dtom Kah Gai thats served in the restaurants. This one is more home-cooked, very rustic and full of bold favours (with lots of lime juice, fish sauce and there are chilie flakes added). It tastes very much like "Dtom Yum" with coconut milk.

Find below a recipe

2 Cups of Coconut Milk
1-2 Cups of Chicken Stock
2 Cups of Chicken Thigh (cut into pieces)
2 Cups of Straw Mushroom (clean and halved)
1 Cup of Chicken Blood Curd (cut into cubes)
3-4 Kaffir Lime Leaves (roughly shredded)
1 Galangal (cut)
3 Lemongrass (Sliced)
2 Shallots (cut)
1-2 Coriander Roots (Optional)
1/4 Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice 
1/4 Fish Sauce 
1 Tablespoon Chillie Flakes 
Fresh Organic Coriander, Spring Onion and Long-leaf Parsley, cut 

Preparation

Set a large sauce pan over medium high heat, add coconut milk. Add kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lemongrass, shallot and coriander roots. Bring to a boil or till aromatic. Add chicken, leave till cooked through. (If the soup is too thick, add chicken stock to thin it to meet with your taste). Just before serving, add chicken blood curd, mushroom, fish sauce, lime juice and chillie flakes. Taste if more seasoning is needed. Turn off the heat. Sprinkle with fresh coriander leaves, spring onion and long-leaf parsley. Serve hot with a cup of steamed whole-grain rice. Absolutely delightful! 

No comments: