Tuesday, February 19, 2013

minced pork simmered in coconut cream

Minced Pork Simmered in Coconut Cream & Soy Bean Paste : Lon Tao Jiew หลนเต้าเจี้ยว

I dont' normally like eating coconut cream or milk but some dishes are way too delicious to skip. I remember that my grandmother cooked this "lon" very often when I was very young. I didn't like it then as there were to many greens accompanied it. People change over time and so do I. As I grow older, I now learn to like/appreciate eating fresh vegetables. I dont know why.. I guess it has something to do with the thought that eating vegetables helps me to be healthier. 

Find below my recipe 

1 Cup Coconut Cream
1/2 Cup Chicken Stock 
1 Cup Minced Pork 
2-3 Tablespoons Fermented Soy Bean Paste
1-2 Tablespoon Palm Sugar
1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce (find the best quality that you possibly could.)
1-2 Tamarind Paste 
2-3 Medium Shallots, sliced 
1/2 Cup Chicken Stock

Garnish 
Red & Green Chilies, sliced into rings
Fresh Organic Coriander Leaves 
Fresh Organic Cucumber
Fresh Organic String or Winged Beans
Fresh White Turmeric  peeled and sliced  
You can simply add any raw fresh vegetables (to taste)

Preparation

Set a saucepan over medium high heat, bring the coconut cream to the boil, then add minced pork. Wait till pork is cooked through, add soy bean paste. Season with palm sugar, tamarind paste and fish sauce. Taste if more seasoning is needed. (The relish should creamy, salty (from the bean paste) with very little sweetness) Turn off the heat. Sprinkle with red & green chillie slices and some fresh chopped coriander leaves. Serve in a small serving cup with lots of mixed fresh vegetables and steamed wholegrain rice. 

1 comment:

Little Cooking Tips said...

Can't find Soy Bean Paste here in Athens, unfortunately. Can we omit it? Should we use something else?
Thank you.