Wednesday, August 29, 2007
yum pla kra pong : yum pla saa-deen
Yum Pla Kra-Pong : Spicy Canned-Sardines in Tomato Sauce Salad Thai Style
My former Assistant has been asking for this dish for weeks and I just got a chance to cook it for her this morning.
For some reason it has become here favourite dish. I assume its because the dish is very bold & full in favours : hot, salted, and sour... a typical Spicy Thai Salad.
Find below Khun May's most favourite dish "Yum Pla Sa-Deen Kra-Pong"
1 of big can/ 2 small cans of sardines in tomato sauce
6-8 of red shallots, thinly sliced
4-6 of small red chillies, thinly sliced (de-seeded is optional)
3 of fresh lemon grass, thinly sliced
6-8 tablespoons of lime juice
6-8 tablespoons of fish sauce
1-2 teaspoons of sugar
1 cup of spring onions & corainder leaves, roughly chopped
* add canned sardines in a big salad bowl
* add fish sauce, lime juice and sugar
* mix well and gently to combine everything
* add sliced shallots, lemon grass, and red chillies
* sprinkle with coriander leaves & chopped spring onion
* remove to the serving plate
* garnish with lime wedges, mints, fresh coriander leaves
* serve with fresh cucumber and streamed rice