Saturday, March 06, 2010

kanoom pang sang-ka-ya : thai egg custard & warm bread


Thai Sweet Egg Custard Dipping & Warm Bread : ขนมปังสังขยา

Recently, I ate at Sukhumvit Soi 38 (A very popular place where lots of delicious-&-decent-street-food stalls are available till very late – I will post about this Soi 38 later.) many times in a week. The main reason was that I finished work quite late at about 11.00pm in the past weeks and I was too lazy/tired to cook. I noticed that after finishing the main dish, I & mates always end up ordering this “Thai Egg Custard & Warm Bread : ขนมปังสังขยา "(See Picture above). We were/are very well aware that the dish is too rich to order 3-4 times in a row but its irresistibly delicious that, at times, we pretend to forget to count calories. (I know that life is too short and that we should live it to the fullest but I think life will probably be even shorter to live without moderation.)

Anyhow, I think this dish is absolutely delicious. So, its about time that I should give it a try at home. I come up with my own recipe and it turns out well. Find below my very own recipe.

½ Kilo of Coconut Milk (Optional)
1 & ½ Cups of Whole Milk (4-5 Cups, without Coconut Milk)
1 Cup of Unrefined Raw Sugar
½ Teaspoon of Sea Salt
3 Tablespoons of Flour
2 Tablespoons of Tapioca Flour
4 Large Organic Eggs (Only Egg York)
3 Pandanus Leaves (Shredded & Optional)

Preparation

In a large bowl, add shredded pandaus leaves and water, squeeze many times to get the green liquid out of the pandanus leaves and drain well. Keep the green liquid in a small cup and put aside. (If you only want Orange Colour - Skip it. In Thailand, we serve this sweet in 2 colours.)
In a large saucepan, add milk, egg york, unrefined raw sugar, sea salt, coconut milk and whisk till mixed well. Add the green pandanus liquid in the saucepan and whisk to mix everything well.
Add, slowly, tapioca flour & flour into the saucepan, stir consistently till everything is mixed well. Set the saucepan over medium heat, keep stirring till cooked through and very smooth.
Turn off the heat. Transfer into a small cup and pour a little of whole milk on top just before serving. Serve hot with (cut into) small cubes of warm bread for dipping. Yummie!

No comments: